Thursday, October 20, 2016

Learning to Do History outside of Academia

Since I'm currently on my own with my studies, I haven't had any senior historians taking me under their wings and teaching me how to actually.. you know... do history. I feel that lack of guidance acutely at times.

 I've been at all this for some months, though, and I've managed to find a few resources that have been a significant help in how to conceptualize the work of a historian, as well as learning how actual research and actual writing is done. These aren't the only History podcasts I listen to, but they are the ones that either explicitly talk about how Historians do/should think & how actual research and writing is done (like the first few), or ones that talk to authors of historical books and are particularly helpful to hear how other researchers actually work.

Podcasts:
The Way of Improvement Leads Home
Doing History Series on Ben Franklin's World
Practicing History
The Art of the Review
Ben Franklin's World
New Books in Biography
New Books in History

  Academia-oriented blogs:
(Not history-specific, but have also been quite helpful)
Thesis Whisperer
The Research Whisperer
PhD Talk
Get A Life, PhD
ProfHacker
Tenure, She Wrote
The Professor Is In
Inside Higher Ed

I've also been finding other historians to add on Twitter and Academia.edu on the social media side of things. It's hard to bee too active on Twitter currently, as I spend all day at my day job (no twittering there!) and then at home I rarely get on a computer. I need to figure out a good plan for that. And of course, Academia.edu is a bit sad when you don't actually have any papers of your own to list! But, hopefully I will someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment